- Stop & Shop, parent company Ahold USA donate $2.5M for Hurricane Sandy cleanup and recovery efforts
- Stop & Shop gears up for back to school with new initiatives
- The shopping cart goes electronic at Stop & Shop
- Stop & Shop launches program to aid in hunger relief
- Stop & Shop expands Peapod delivery service
QUINCY, Mass. - Stop & Shop Supermarket announced that it set a new record in 2010 with its annual Food for Friends campaign. More than $2 million -- a 40% increase from 2009 -- will be donated to more than 300 local food pantries and regional food banks throughout Stop & Shop's operating areas this year, the company reported.
"I want to take this opportunity to thank all of our customers and associates for their tremendous generosity and support of our annual Food for Friends program," said Mark McGowan, New England division president of Stop & Shop. "The need is great -- even more so this year. These efforts will allow our regional and local food bank partners to provide meals to thousands of families in our communities."
Stop & Shop's 21st annual Food for Friends program ran in all 398 Stop & Shop stores from Oct. 29 through Dec. 10. Customers donated $1, $3, or $5 "paper turkeys" at their local Stop & Shop. Customer contributions accounted for 90% of the $2 million; Stop & Shop contributed $500 per store.