The Timex brand is synonymous with watches so it’s no surprise that the company has entered the wearable teachnology space with a new smartwatch, called the Timex Ironman One GPS+, which offers consumers stand-alone wireless connectivity without a phone.
The brand is marketing the smartwatch as the ideal device to use in those instances when carrying a phone is not ideal. Some of the Timex Ironman One GPS+ smartwatch’s features include the following:
- Stand-alone wireless connectivity without a phone
- Email-based messaging capabilities
- Tracking capabilities that communicate the user's location to friends and family anytime, anywhere
- Custom-built "Find Me Mode", which allows users to send an alert with exact location in case of an emergency
- Ability to track speed, distance and pace in real-time and instantaneously share performance metrics through social media and online fitness platforms
- Water resistance up to 50 meters, an essential feature for water exposure, training in the rain or swimming
- Built-in MP3 component with 4 GB of memory to play music via a Bluetooth headset
- Always-on, sunlight-readable, high-resolution touch display
- One year of data connectivity by AT&T included for U.S. and Canadian subscribers
Timex Ironman One GPS+ has been developed in close collaboration with Qualcomm Connected Experiences, a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, a mobile technology company, and mobile service provider AT&T.
"The introduction of the Timex Ironman One GPS+ smartwatch represents an exciting opportunity for Timex in the smartwatch category, as we build upon the rich, authentic tradition of the Timex brand, as well as our 160-year heritage," said Anette S. Olsen, chairman of Timex Group. "For nearly three decades, Timex Ironman has provided athletes with innovative solutions to enhance their training experiences. Our collaboration with industry stalwarts Qualcomm and AT&T has enabled us to introduce the first smartwatch that offers stand-alone wireless connectivity without a phone and has great appeal to a broad range of fitness enthusiasts as well as tech-savvy individuals and those who simply wish to make a statement."
"Wearables, including smartwatches, is an emerging category that holds significant promise for Qualcomm, and we are very pleased to have worked with Timex and AT&T on the development of the Ironman One GPS+ sports watch and delivery platform," said Derek Aberle, president of Qualcomm Incorporated. "The watch combines the human wrist ergonomics expertise of Timex with proven Qualcomm technologies and will provide fitness enthusiasts with a truly unparalleled design and connected experience."
"Wearable devices like smartwatches can deliver so much more value for customers when they are fully connected," said Glenn Lurie, president of emerging enterprises and partnerships, AT&T Mobility. "Timex Ironman One GPS+ is a perfect illustration. It gives the user a simplified yet robust experience he or she needs during and after a workout without having to rely on a smartphone."
Timex Ironman One GPS+ is powered by a cloud-based service delivery platform managed by Synchronoss, which is also leading the development of the product's mobile application and web portal.
"With the pioneering Timex Ironman One GPS+, Timex is at the forefront of connected devices, where innovation occurs at the intersection of product and user interface," said Nick Lazzaro, EVP and president, emerging markets, Synchronoss. "That's why we're proud to develop cloud-based solutions that will provide users with a powerful, yet intuitive, interface for monitoring performance, health and fitness goals."
The Timex Ironman One GPS+ will be available for purchase this fall at timex.com, att.com, AT&T stores, select sports specialty and electronic stores. Pre-order is now available on timex.com for $399.95.