A blood drive and fundraising effort are underway in Southern California to support two employees injured in an explosion at a Sport Chalet store.
The two employees, Victor Gonzales, 25, and Lauren Polzin, 27, were injured earlier this month while attempting to shut off a gas valve after a customer in the retailer’s store in La Canada, Ca., reported smelling gas. Sport Chalet operates 54 stores in California, Arizona, Nevada and Utah.
"The company continues to support both families to aid in their recovery," said Craig Levra, chairman and CEO of Sport Chalet, said. "On behalf of Victor and Lauren, their families and the entire Sport Chalet team, we thank everyone for their overwhelming support."
The employees sustained second to third degree burns over 50% to 80% of their bodies, according to local authorities.
Sport Chalet is working with the local American Red Cross to host a blood drive at its corporate office on March 26. In addition, Sport Chalet has established two funds to further support the two injured employees at www.giveforward.com/Victor and www.giveforward.com/Lauren. Both websites are set-up to receive contributions directly from Sport Chalet employees, vendors, customers and friends. The retailer is also accepting gift cards from restaurants, grocery stores, and other retailers on behalf of the families.